Friday, December 4, 2015

Dangerous Activity

I love to write. I love to think out loud. 

I find my most creative problem-solving happens when a trusted friend helps sort through my thoughts. That is why blogging has always been attractive to me. I read blogs and find them captivating. They engage my mind and heart. 

However, blogging is dangerous. In a world of opinion sharing and reactionary comments, it is dangerous to think out loud. This has always fueled my procrastination.

In a world of opinion sharing and reactionary comments, it is dangerous to think out loud.

I can remain silent.
We read and judge without thoroughly understanding the thoughts or the thinker. My ideas are mine. They may remain unheard, but they will not be misunderstood. Being misunderstood is dangerous in a world of tweets and texts. We carefully craft our image so no one could possibly think ill of us. We do our virtual eggshell walking and hope not to make anyone upset.

I can get louder.
If we can just offer the right combination of words or a perfectly cutting meme, those who have it all wrong will finally see the error of their ways! Every post is a chance to change someone's mind. Each comment is an opportunity to set their thinking straight. Unfortunately, this hardly works. The fight is pointless. No one is convinced to capitulate by lobbing idealogical grenades from behind our fortified computer screens. 

"No one is convinced to capitulate by lobbing idealogical grenades from behind our fortified computer screens."

What is the common theme? 

Fear. We fear that we could be misunderstood. We fear those we care for are wrong. We fear that we might be wrong. Fear drives us to do some crazy, sad things. 

What is an alternative? 

Humility
My insecurities express themselves in over-confidence. I know. It does not make sense, but that is my heart's reaction to fear. Admitting our weakness paints a giant bullseye on our backs. But humility drives out fear. What if we admitted we may not have all the answers? What if we came to the realization that were ALL in process? When we start from a place of "You might be right; I might be wrong," our defenses go down and our willingness to understand goes up. 

Courage
What are you scared of? I fear a lot. Fear of failure. Fear of being misunderstood. Fear of hurting those I love. Courage is not ignoring fear. Courage is recognizing fear and acting anyway. If those fears were managed, tamed, put in their place, could sharing our ideas be more possible?

"Courage is recognizing fear and acting anyway."

So here it is: I am blogging. I am exploring these ideas. I am no expert. I could be wrong. I WILL be wrong sometimes. Explore with me. Be my sounding board. Offer perspective. 

You can silently judge me. I will not hear it. You can angrily correct me. I will hear it. Or you could be a part of a conversation that leads us to a better place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment