Monday, December 21, 2015

Effective vs. What? Part 1

Efficiency has always been important to me. I remember as a child thinking of efficiency. My room was my greatest laboratory for efficiency. The way I arranged my room had to be in such a way that eliminated mess, prevented extra effort, and created the most comfort. I distinctly remember the placement of my night stand was crucial.

Getting dressed in the morning was an exercise of efficiency. I would wonder, "What is the most logical and efficient system for clothing myself after a shower?" It is obvious right!? Underwear, socks, shirt, pants, shoes. Duh. But I took it a step further. "How could I arrange my closet to facilitate this kind of dressing pattern?" Yeah. I was a special child.

I do not know if this was an attempt to have some sort of control in an out-of-control world or if I was just straight crazy. What I do know is that I cling to that still. I still measure success or failure in work or home based on how much I can do with what I have been given.

This psychosis went to a whole new level when I made Christ the Lord of my life. I placed a lot of pressure on myself to be the most effective Christian I could be. This was of utmost importance! Then I read this passage in God's Word:

5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- 1 Peter 1.5-8

How do I live up to this standard!? This quickly turned my faith-based salvation into a heretical works-based salvation. Working my hardest to please God with my efficiency plagues much of my life. That's why I was rattled when Doug Fields at NYWC said this:
"You don't need to be super talented to be super effective." - Doug Fields

What? He is mistaken, right!? In order to be effective, we need to be the most talented, hard-working, well-rounded person. Is this not what we want around our teenagers our families?

How have you tried to earn approval from God?

No comments:

Post a Comment