Thursday, August 15, 2019

Love the Creeps

I got to see Bob Goff at National Youth Workers Convention in November of 2017. He said this:

"Love everybody, always . . . and start with the people who creep you out!"

Huh?

Who creeps me out? People with little social skills. People who don't like to smile or laugh. People who seem to not accept me.

I was pretty creeped out when I went into a high school cafeteria a couple of years back. As a youth pastor, I get to go to the school and have lunch with teenagers from time to time. It felt like I was back in my own high school days. There's something about a cafeteria that draws one’s insecurities to the surface.

All those eyes on me knowing I didn't belong. Also there were those who know me and those who don't. What if those who didn't know me judge me based on the character of those who did know me?!

Here's the issue: acceptance. If I reach out and accept those I see, they may reject me. What does that mean to me? For someone who wants to be accepted, that means a lot. I don't think I give them any reason to NOT like me. What if they don't like me because of a misunderstanding!?

Whose job is it to clear up misunderstanding? Whose job is it to name me? Whose identity do I have?

Another thing Goff said was "On your very worst day Jesus calls you 'Beloved' and if you don't hear that when you hear your name, it's not Jesus speaking."

You are beloved. You are. There's no doubt in my mind that the Father loves me and names me as one of His own. So who cares if others don't call me "Beloved"? I do. Why? Because I can see them and hear them.

Maybe I need to see Him and hear Him instead. How about you? Do you believe you’re loved by God or do you believe your fears?

No comments:

Post a Comment