Friday, March 17, 2023

Jesus Finishes What He Starts

The pieces of the jigsaw puzzle mock me simply by their existence. Sitting on the table with its siblings scattered across the felt covering that contrasts the table from their fragmented picture. 

At the beginning, I was so dedicated to completing it. Sorting, making a system to reconstruct, and piecing it together slowly over time. But things happen. Busyness gets in the way. Other things catch my attention and the idea of returning to the puzzle seems burdensome. 

Then it’s a matter of pride. “I shouldn’t HAVE to finish it if I don’t want to” I mutter under my breath every time I pass the office door. Eventually, my wife asks if she can move it and almost as though she’s putting me out of my misery, I lament the necessity of putting it away while inwardly I’m celebrating the excuse to shut up the judgmental stares of the 1000 pieces that I failed to assemble. 

Failing to realize my goals, no matter how inconsequential, haunts my existence. Unfortunately, I haven’t always been able to separate the concept incompleteness from true failure. In my mind, “incomplete” equals failure. 

But that’s simply not true. There is only One who finishes everything He starts.


Jesus finishes what He starts. He doesn’t leave me hanging. He hasn’t forgotten me or lost interest in me. He is as committed to His love for me today as the day He died on the cross. His love for me doesn’t waiver. He doesn’t regret making me, pursuing me, and knowing me. He has not thought twice about walking with me in this life.

So how do I walk in faith that He is using me, shaping me, and transforming me into His likeness? 

I take the next steps in front of me. The next thing that comes, I tend to in the wisdom and diligence that the Spirit gives. Each small step of faith in obedience is a step toward trust in Him and HIS work in this world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment